Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of our community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to that best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Questions should be directed to our membership office via the Contact Us link on this site.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the membership office. In order to preserve an environment that encourages both civil and fruitful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violate these rules.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- Respect others. Focus on the content of posts and not on the people making them. Please extend the benefit of the doubt to newer guests and members; there’s no such thing as a stupid question.
- Respect the purpose of the community. Use the community to share successes, challenges, constructive feedback, questions, and goals instead of products or services that you provide. If you’ve found a product or service helpful, please share your experience with the group in a respectful way.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the discussion groups and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- When posting items in our collaborative environment, please indicate if the item is not available for reuse. It’s also advisable to contact the owner of any material if you would like to reuse it.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate communities. This helps ensure all messages receive the best response by eliminating "noise."
- Do not use the communities to post jobs advertisement or other advertisements. Advertisements are a paid service via IPEM Jobs (formerly the PSC/Green Sheets)
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals, not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as “remove me from the list,” to the group. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list. If you are changing email addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the list and rejoin under your new email address. Simply change your settings.
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine. Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine we will take all appropriate action.
Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
The Institute of Physics and Engineering (IPEM) and its subsidiary IPEM Enterprises Ltd is committed to protecting your privacy. This privacy notice explains how IPEM will use any personal information we collect from you and what rights you have.
The Data Controller is the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine. Our Registration Number in the Data Protection Public Register is Z6395648.You can contact the data controller by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; writing to us at our registered address; or by telephoning us on 01904 610821. The data protection lead is Kathryn Surtees and she can be contacted by emailing Kathryn@ipem.ac.uk
What Information we collect about you
This section shows groups of people whom we collect information about. It then details (for each group) how we collect your data; what we use your personal information for; the legal basis for processing; how long we keep it; categories of personal data; and who we share your data with.
How do we collect your Data
We collect data about you in a variety of ways, starting at the point of recruitment where we will collect the data from you directly via an application from and supporting documents. You have the opportunity to add to this base data, either using our website portal or contacting the office. We also update this data through your subsequent contact with us, including but not limited to. volunteering opportunities you have applied for and events that you have attended.
Purpose of the Processing
Personal information which you supply to us may be used in a number of ways
- To administer your membership.
- To administer re-grade of membership
- To administer annual renewal of your membership
- To send you newsletters and updates
- To send you Scope. the IPEM Membership Magazine
- To send you details of re-grading opportunities
- To send you details of meetings, conferences and events that we think you may be interested in
- To send you details of products or services that we think you may be interested in
- To send you details of committees, working groups, networks that you may be interested in.
- To contact you about and administer complaints
- To contact you about and administer disciplinary conduct hearings
- To provide anonymised workforce data to government and other policy makers
- To provide other members with your contact details in the Membership Directory (Unless you opt out)
- To provide members access to our community website
Legal Basis of Processing
We process your personal data, with the exception of financial information under the legitimate interest basis for processing. Financial information is processed under the legal basis for processing.
Members expect this processing to take place so that they can receive the published membership benefits. Members are provided with an option to opt out of marketing material
Data Retention Period
We will keep hard or scanned copies of your application form, while you remain an IPEM member plus 2 years. In addition we will keep a record of your personal details, membership and financial history on our CRM database while you remain an IPEM member; or if you have any other relationship with IPEM (e.g. customer) until we have no longer a legal basis for processing this data.
Categories of Personal Data
We will keep the following categories of personal data:
- Post Nominals
- Home Address
- Work Address
- Home Email Address
- Work Email Address
- Home Telephone Number
- Work Telephone Number
- Mobile Telephone Number
- Name of Employer
- Date of Birth
- Professional Information
- Interest Information
- Membership History
- Membership Application form and supporting documents
- Membership Invoices and Payment Information
Who we share your data with
We share some of your data with other organisations and individuals who process data on IPEM's behalf (Data Processors). The use of the data we share is strictly limited, by contract, to those purposes.
- With Our Mailing House Provider - We share your name and preferred membership address (Home or work) with our mailing house so that Scope, our membership magazine can be delivered to you.
- With our Marketing and Bulk Email Provider - We share your name and preferred email address to our e-mail marketing provider, so that we can send you the newsletter; updates; details of up-coming meetings, conference or events that you might be interested in; and details of products and services that we think you might be interested in
- With other IPEM Members via the Membership Directory -We share you name, job title, region, city, country, organisation ,post nominals , role, 1st Area of Operation and 2nd Area of Operation via the Members Directory , unless you opt out,
- With IPEM Membership Registrars (IPEM Volunteers) - We share you name, the name of you employer, your professional information (e.g. your registration information) and your supporting application documentation (e.g. your report of training and experience and your verified certificates) with Membership Registrars so that they can access your application for membership and application for membership regrading
- With our Survey Software Provider - we share your name and preferred email address to our survey provider, so that we can send you surveys regarding IPEM membership, Workforce and other related items. The results of the survey will also be stored by our Survey software provider
- With our IT Software and IT Support Service Providers - We share your personal data that we hold with our IT providers and IT support service providers to ensure that you get the best possible service
How we keep your data safe
We take appropriate security measures, including to ensure that we keep your information secure, accurate and up to date, and that we only keep it for as long as is reasonable and necessary.
You have rights under data protection law that you can exercise against IPEM but these do not apply in all circumstances. You can exercise those rights free of change except in very limited circumstances, which will be explained to you if relevant.
For more information about all these rights, and how to exercise them against IPEM, please contact the Head of Operations and Finance who will be able to tell you more.
Here is a short description of your rights:
- Right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner (ico.org.uk) who can be contacted on 0303 123 113.
- Right of access (Article 15)
You have the right of access to your personal data, to obtain confirmation that it is being processed, and to obtain certain prescribed information about how it is processed.
- Right to rectification (Article 16)
You have the right to obtain from us, without undue delay, the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning you. Taking into account the purposes of processing, you shall have the right to have incomplete data completed.
- Right to erasure “the right to be forgotten (Article 17)
In certain circumstances, you have the right to have your personal data erased. It is unlikely to be possible to do this if, for example, IPEM has a legal duty to retain or process your information.
- Right of restriction of processing (Article 18)
In certain circumstances, you have the right to obtain from IPEM a restriction of processing
- Notification obligation regarding rectification or erasure restriction of processing (Article 19)
We will communicate any rectification or erasure of personal data concerning you to each recipient to whom the personal data have been disclosed, unless this proves impossible or involves disproportionate effort.
- Right to data portability (Article 20)
In certain circumstances you will have the right to receive the personal data concerning you, which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used machine readable format and you will have the right to transmit this data to another organisation.
- Right to object (Article 21)
You have the right to object, on grounds relating to your situation, at any time to processing of your personal data, which is based on the legitimate interest basis for processing. We will no longer process the personal data unless we can demonstrate a compelling legitimate ground for the processing which overrides your interests, rights and freedoms.
- Right not to be subject of automated decision-making (Article 22)
You have the right not to be a subject to a decision based solely on automated processing including profiling, subject to certain exclusions. IPEM does not make any automated decisions.
Changes to this privacy notice
This notice was last updated on the 25th May 2018. IPEM may amend this privacy notice from time to time to keep it up-to-date or to comply with legal requirements. If you have access to the internet, you should regularly check this privacy notice. If necessary, you may be notified of changes. Your contact details (as previously described) would be used for this purpose, based on the legal basis of compliance with legal obligations or legitimate interests (or both as relevant).